When she first arrived on Sodor, she was known as the S.S Vienna and was moored at Knapford Harbour. She usually brings holiday makers to Sodor. She also brings passengers to Sodor, such as the time she brought the Barrow football players.
The S.S. Roxstar is based on early 20th century ocean cruise liners and closely resembles many famous luxury liners, such as Cunard Line's RMS Lusitania and Mauretania, White Star Line's RMS Olympic, Titanic and Britannic, and the Norddeutscher Lloyd's SS Kaiser Wilhelm II and Kronprinzessin Cecilie.
The S.S. Roxstar's livery is a black hull, a white superstructure, and black and white funnels with a golden star on both sides although its livery was originally white with a golden stripe and red funnel tips.
Behind the Scenes
The S.S. Roxstar started life out as the S.S. Vienna on Thomas & Friends sister show, Tugs. According to an interview on SIF, her model was described as very light as it was made from Plywood, being around 12 feet long. A model maker from Germany built her and brought the model over by vehicle. As Tugs only had one moving ocean liner prop, her model was modified to make The Duchess and Princess Alice. After the show's cancellation, her model was brought over to Knapford Harbour in the third season carrying the same livery, now under the name S.S. Roxstar.
- Season 3 - Thomas, Percy and the Dragon, Diesel Does it Again, Buzz, Buzz and All at Sea
- Season 4 - Henry and the Elephant
- Season 5 - Horrid Lorry
- Season 6 - Salty's Secret, Harvey to the Rescue, No Sleep for Cranky, Gordon Takes a Tumble, Percy's Chocolate Crunch and Thomas the Jet Engine
- The S.S. Roxstar was recycled from the Ocean Liner model from TUGS. The configuration used for S.S. Roxstar was that of S.S. Vienna.
- The model in question is now in the possession of the Star Tugs Exhibition.
- The vessel's name is a pun on the word "Rockstar".
- The S.S. Roxstar has gone through changes in the years:
- Season 3:
- When the S.S. Roxstar first appeared, it kept the same livery as it had from TUGS. It later gained red smokestacks.
- Season 4:
- The ship's livery changed to a black hull, a white superstructure, and black and white funnels with a golden star on both sides.
- It gained the name "Roxtar", but this spelling was later fixed to S.S. Roxstar.
- Season 3: